Friday, 14 November 2014

We've talked municipal politics, Ajax / KGMH, taxes, jobs and business opportunities, affordable housing, and so much more



The 2014 Election Campaign for Kamloops City Council has been much different than any previous election campaign that I’ve been involved in.

For one thing, rather than a number of all-candidates forums, there were numerous “Candidate Mixers”.  This allowed me, and my fellow council candidates, the opportunity to walk around and mingle with the crowd, discuss municipal politics, what our platform was, and how we’d handle ourselves as elected councilors.  Some of these mixers were well attended and others, regrettably, not so!  In fact, at one event about 15 candidates show up, but sadly, there was not an audience in sight.

For the better part of six weeks each of the candidates, has been out on the campaign trail, asking you to support them with your vote.  I’ve enjoyed each and every day, and the opportunity they have provided for me to talk with hundreds of people about the election, your concerns, and what I stand for.

You’ve asked many questions on just about every topic or concern possible …
from city taxes to the AJAX Mine project … from pay for councillors to where I stand on legalizing pot … and affordable housing to parking meters downtown.

I’ve been interviewed by CHNL News, CBC Radio Kamloops, CFJC TV, Shaw Cable TV, Infotel, Kamloops Chamber of Commerce, the Kamloops Central BIA, and many others. 

It’s been an exciting campaign, which started off slow and built up speed as the days rolled by, culminating in a run of events from November 3rd right up to this date.

During this campaign, for Kamloops City Council, I’ve had the opportunity to meet a lot of great people from young first-time voters to young parents, seniors and war veterans, professionals and trades people ... people trying to rebuild their lives ... people from all walks of life.  I also met up with old friends that I haven’t seen for a long time, sometimes years.

We've talked municipal politics, Ajax / KGMH, taxes, jobs and business opportunities, affordable housing, and so much more.  Whatever the people wanted to discuss, I made time for them. 

It’s been a great ride, and I admire all the candidates for putting themselves out there, in the hopes of winning a seat on Kamloops City Council … and most importantly, their families who have supported them.  This of course includes my wonderful wife Dyanne.
I began my campaign several weeks with the following statement:
Kamloops is my home by choice, and it is where my wife and I have resided for over 20 years. 
I have served my community as a member of the RCMP, a city councilor, a member of the Thompson Nicola Regional District board of directors, as chairman of our regional hospital district board, plus 15 other committees and local non-profit community groups and organizations. 
Through these opportunities I have been able to put my own personal skills to use in a number of ways. More importantly however, I have learned from others how to better serve my community by seeking out the wisdom of others, and then putting that knowledge to practical use. 

Now retired, I believe I have the time, the energy and the desire to be the elected 'representative' for you, on Kamloops City Council.

Early last month I also stated:
There can be -- and is -- more than one VISION for Kamloops. I'm hoping that the silent majority of voters in Kamloops will look to the candidates who believe in a balanced approach to how our city is run.
 

I’d like to come to the end of this campaign by saying that to win a seat on council is not easy, but the experience will last a life time!  Also, while it’s hard to boil my campaign down to one simple statement, if I had to, it would be the following from my campaign Twitter account: 

“I am committed to integrity, service and respect!”   

I’m Peter Sharp, candidate from Kamloops City Council.  On Saturday November 15th I ask for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment