Friday, 31 October 2014

That's like saying if you don't vote, you can't complain....of course you can



One of the things that I appreciate, with the growth of social media in recent years, is the immediacy it offers and provides.  I can post something to Twitter and / or Facebook during the campaign, and it allows for voters, friends, and even fellow candidates to respond and comment with their own thoughts.



Yesterday there was another instance of that, when I re-posted an image that someone from Kamloops had shared on Facebook.



It didn’t take long to elicit a response, which ended up as a conversation, and which I am now sharing with you here.  I hope you’ll take a couple minutes to read through this, and then I’d sure like to gear your thoughts.  Here we go …



Voter #1

Moronic reply...the right to not vote is also a right...get it straight...



PETER SHARP:  

Yes I agree, it is a Right that indeed you have.  However, with all due respect, it is a right that was EARNED FOR YOU by the blood, sweat and tears of generations before you. To squander that RIGHT, in my opinion, is to disrespect those individuals.



If you don't like how things are, then participate in the process to change them. That my friend, is also a right that you have, but ONLY because of others that have fought for you to be able have it.



Voter #1

But it's not me...you see you've judged me but I vote...still I respect the rights of others and I appreciate those that have battled; that was never in question until you assumed and then tried to lay a guilt trip on me....I appreciate and respect our freedom...all of us. If I don't like how things are is an assumption too.....wow....that's like saying if you don't vote, you can't complain....of course you can....we are free - remember? That price those before us paid for that freedom. With all due respect....



PETER SHARP:

You are right, I did presume / assume that you did not vote, and for that I do apologize. My comments however remain as stated for those who do not vote



Andy Philpot (Kamloops Council Candidate):

No vote, No complaining



Voter #1

That's like saying liars shouldn't lie...grow up.




PETER SHARP

That analogy does not fly at all, although you are right in that liars shouldn't lie, but that is something most of us (at times) have had to wrestle with. The fact that people are not voting, and then many complain about the state of the electoral process, is only a reflection on them. The right to vote is a privilege, and one that should not be wasted.



Voter #1

Says you....which again violates the very right you so proudly proclaim....Again Peter I am not looking to be right with the comment only making a point that seems to elude many....within certain parameters....people can do what they want...and can complain all they want...saying they shouldn't is limiting yourself and focus on the behaviour of them rather than focusing on the only thing you can really do anything about...which is yourself....inside out approach rather than focusing on what the complainers and non-voters do....still I respect their rights.....



PETER SHARP

I think we are getting closer to agreement. As individuals we do have the right (or rights) to do what we want, within the parameters of the law. And in saying so, there is no law that we have to vote; it is however disappointing to see less and less people voting.



Because of that, I am pleased to see the Vote 50 organization playing an active role in getting the message out to voters with a number of events throughout the city to meet and talk to candidates, as well as presenting information on all candidates running for City Council, TNRD, and School Trustees.



Have a great day, and thank you for sharing your thoughts on this important topic.



Voter #1

They may control the environment but they will never control my mind. I do what I want.





So, that’s how the conversation went.  I haven’t changed my mind, and I doubt whether this individual has either.  Again, I’d love to hear what you have to say on the topic of voting.  You can post your comment right here, or send me an email at sharp4kamloopscouncil@gmail.com.



In the meantime, I’m Peter Sharp, candidate for Kamloops City council.

1 comment:

  1. Peter,

    I think that Voter #1 is betraying an impoverished view of freedom. There is no freedom without equal responsibility. Voting should not be considered a right but a responsibility.

    If he thinks that he alone is in control of his thoughts, he is sorely mistaken.

    ReplyDelete