Saturday, 25 October 2014

So as I mentioned above … these were my INITIAL thoughts, and NOT really very helpful to the situation at hand

ON THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL … a Facebook post from October 18th

Yesterday I regretfully came across an article, written by The Grumpy Ol Git, entitled “How's this for an election slogan?” You can find it online at http://infotel.ca/newsitem/gog-hows-this-for-an-election-slogan/it13805.

I say with regret because in part, The Grumpy Old Git had this to say:
I have little patience with local (Kamloops) politicians. Whichever ones we elect will have neither the courage nor the intellect to direct traffic, never mind create visionary cities. The vast majority of them will merely show up to meetings and do what they’re told by city “managers” who couldn’t manage their way out of a paper bag. As a result, councilors quickly run out of anything useful to do, and end up wasting their time and ours with ridiculous by-laws about dogs and weeds which everyone sensibly ignores. If they are ever called upon to make up their minds about something important they are hampered by not having any, and waste tens of thousands of taxpayers’ dollars on “consultants” or set up a committee to “investigate” until the problem goes away by itself or they are un-elected, whichever comes first.


In all honesty, I was somewhat angered, and my INITIAL thought and response was this: If "Grumpy Old Git" has little patience with local politicians, then why don’t they get off their butt and run for election themselves. After reading this diatribe of criticism of how our city is run, it became plainly obvious that they knew little or nothing about municipal politics. 

For him/her to suggest that elected councilors "merely show up to meetings and do what they are told by city managers”, just shows how little “The Grumpy Old Git” knows about how the system works. From personal experience, I can assure you the system does work!

City council and administration go out of their way to ensure that Directors and Managers are highly qualified. These qualified individuals report to council, and they are required to submit recommendations on a myriad of topics before council. These usually related to engineering projects, city buildings, roads, bike paths, services to the public and finances, just to name a few. These directors and managers are there to advise and educate council, and offer their best advice and counsel. 

On occasion, a majority of council may not agree with management and will vote accordingly. The job of city council to listen, and decide, what they collectively feel is best for the city.

As for advertising and signage, what does "The Grumpy Old Git” expect? 


Spending money on advertising (whether it's for council election, flyers for a department store, or automobile sales), all contribute to the economy of Kamloops, and creates work for all kinds of people. 

When you consider that all members of the present council want to keep their seats, and two dozen other potential candidates want to take them, this is an indication that people are not happy with the status quo. So, Grumpy Old Git … either run yourself, or stop your whining about those willing to try!

So as I mentioned above … these were my INITIAL thoughts, and NOT really very helpful to the situation at hand.

Sadly, the actions of some elected officials, have led many to believe that those seeking political office are in it for only themselves, and in fact are simply following orders from party brass and officials, and at the local level, from heaven only knows who.

Month after month we have heard of MLA’s, MP’s and Senators who have been involved in some kind of scandal … who have deliberately gone against the wishes of their constituents … abused the public purse … and the list goes on.
Thankfully, at least here in Kamloops, this has not been the case.

I believe those who have carefully and thoughtfully made the decision to seek a place on Kamloops City council, have done so because they believe in service to the community they live in, and that they love.

I for one wish to sincerely offer my Thanks to the other 30+ individuals who have made the decision to let their names stand for election as city councilors … for mayor … and to the many others seeking a position on the School Board and TNRD.

Last year, as many know, I let my name stand for election as a Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA). I campaigned on a belief that government, at all levels, must operate with the highest standards of integrity, and serve and respect all individuals and their families.

This is something I have believed since the first campaign when I was elected to Kamloops city council, and it is something that has never changed.

While I certainly do not agree with the positions of some who are seeking election this year, I do believe they too wish to “Serve” and “Respect” those who they hope will elect them to office.

Again, my thanks to each one of you.

I'm Peter Sharp, candidate for Kamloops City Council

No comments:

Post a Comment