A short
time ago I received a questionnaire from the Kamloops Central Business
Improvement Area, regarding voting in the upcoming November 15th municipal
election. They were looking at questions that would help businesses, and
property owners, learn a little more about the candidates.
This I believe has broader interest across the city, especially those living in the downtown core, and so I am happy to share my thoughts here, for all to be able to look over.
The following are the questions, and my responses:
Q. How do you envision Downtown Kamloops in 4 years?
I believe that a lot depends on the Provincial/National economy over the next 4 years. I enjoy visiting the downtown of Kamloops. It's good to see we still have one, unlike many other cities in the Province, such as Surrey and Burnaby. Our down town will become more pedestrian friendly as we move forward.
The Downtown is our centre for culture within the valley and will continue to be so into the future.
Q. What are the strengths and weaknesses and opportunities you see for Downtown Kamloops?
Downtown Kamloops is the centre of activity. It is the centre for our city government, TNRD, the city library, arts and culture and the Sagebrush Theatre.
There have been a number of improvements downtown, such as the Lansdowne corridor and shopping facilities.
What we need to concentrate on is parking availability in the core area. I was disappointed that we missed out on the underground parkade on Lorne Street, however; I was happy to see the new Sandman Hotel be completed on Lorne and 2nd Ave. This hotel will bring much needed spin off employment to the downtown core.
All we need now is a performing arts centre!
Q. What types of actions/programs would you advocate for to manage street issues in Kamloops business districts? How do you see them being funded?
Some of the issues that I see while I'm out and about in Downtown Kamloops, is parking and panhandling.
This I believe has broader interest across the city, especially those living in the downtown core, and so I am happy to share my thoughts here, for all to be able to look over.
The following are the questions, and my responses:
Q. How do you envision Downtown Kamloops in 4 years?
I believe that a lot depends on the Provincial/National economy over the next 4 years. I enjoy visiting the downtown of Kamloops. It's good to see we still have one, unlike many other cities in the Province, such as Surrey and Burnaby. Our down town will become more pedestrian friendly as we move forward.
The Downtown is our centre for culture within the valley and will continue to be so into the future.
Q. What are the strengths and weaknesses and opportunities you see for Downtown Kamloops?
Downtown Kamloops is the centre of activity. It is the centre for our city government, TNRD, the city library, arts and culture and the Sagebrush Theatre.
There have been a number of improvements downtown, such as the Lansdowne corridor and shopping facilities.
What we need to concentrate on is parking availability in the core area. I was disappointed that we missed out on the underground parkade on Lorne Street, however; I was happy to see the new Sandman Hotel be completed on Lorne and 2nd Ave. This hotel will bring much needed spin off employment to the downtown core.
All we need now is a performing arts centre!
Q. What types of actions/programs would you advocate for to manage street issues in Kamloops business districts? How do you see them being funded?
Some of the issues that I see while I'm out and about in Downtown Kamloops, is parking and panhandling.
When it come to parking, I believe
the city should bear the cost of a new, much needed, parkade. Parking is not
only a problem for visitors and shoppers to the Downtown, it also a big problem
for people who work downtown.
When it comes to aggressive
panhandlers, we need more enforcement.
Maybe it's time to see how other jurisdictions handle the situation, it
may be possible to have special training for out city bylaws staff,
particularly those with peace officer status, on how to handle aggressive
panhandles.
I have personally experienced being approached by aggressive panhandlers, and in some cases it's not very pleasant. Panhandling is a city issue that needs to be addressed at their expense.
Q. A key strategic initiative of the City of Kamloops and the Kamloops Central BIA for several years, and continues to be, has been densification of the downtown, What in your opinion has prevented this from happening more broadly and how would you propose to make changes to bet.....??
I have personally experienced being approached by aggressive panhandlers, and in some cases it's not very pleasant. Panhandling is a city issue that needs to be addressed at their expense.
Q. A key strategic initiative of the City of Kamloops and the Kamloops Central BIA for several years, and continues to be, has been densification of the downtown, What in your opinion has prevented this from happening more broadly and how would you propose to make changes to bet.....??
I believe what the downtown needs
is a plan in place to allow for medium to higher income earners to build new
homes.
![]() |
The 429 St. Paul Housing Project. For more
|
On the other hand some, in higher income brackets may not wish to build and live in the downtown area without clear zoning in place. This will likely need to be handled by our city council or maybe a committee of council.
Bottom line? It certainly needs being looked at, with the possibility of a plan being put in place with the help of citizens at large.
Q. if elected how do you see your role in the building of a performing arts centre and/or a multi-use development?
I am a supporter of building a new performing arts theater in Kamloops. I have attended the open house and have seen the plans and spoken with one of the architects. I was impressed with what I saw. However, where should it be built?
One of the proposed sites being considered is on the corner of 6th and Victoria. Is this the right place? What about parking for 1500 people, and the estimated cost of $40 Million; can we afford it at this time? Maybe we could consider a public private partnership, which has worked in other places.
All in all, I support the idea!
My thanks to those involved in the Kamloops Central Business Improvement Area, and for their participation in helping to strengthen our local democratic process.
I'm Peter Sharp, candidate for Kamloops City Council.


No comments:
Post a Comment