The concerns Kamloops residents have regarding their health, and the health of our community,
are high on the mind of many people … people from all walks of life.
This of course is due to the Ajax Mine proposal, which has been under discussion for some time
For anyone wondering, let me unequivocally state that; "I support strong -- and responsible -- exploration, mining and mineral processing industry in BC – and that includes right here in Kamloops."
And I have no problem saying this. I will support, the good high-paying family supporting jobs, which come from safe and environmentally sound development projects.
Within minutes of leaving Kamloops City to submit the paperwork to seek a seat on council, I was briefly interviewed by two of our local radio stations. Both interviews had one main focus, and that was the Ajax Mine project.
In one of the interviews, with Jim Harrison of CHNL, a direct quote they used was as follows:
“I support the mine, providing that the environmental report comes back that it’s good to go, I’m glad to see that that council are getting some input into the environmental review – not that they have a veto power – but they’re getting to have an opportunity to speak.”
A follow-up story included this quote:
“I feel that we need jobs like that to come to town, because I get sick and tired of hearing people say my kid is working up north … and my son is one of them. You know what we need is some way to operate in an environmentally safe way, that will allow our kids to have good well-paying, jobs, and stay in town.”
Here’s the thing; right now many of our children and grand-children are having to work up North, or are having to leave the province entirely, because there are few available well-paying jobs for them here.
I have attended numerous community meetings on the Ajax Mine (pro – con – and neutral) … I have toured the proposed mine site several times, and I have also met with KGHM International, Jean-Paul Salley (External Affairs Specialist), to talk about the AJAX mine project.
In meeting with Jean-Paul (and filling several pages with notes from that conversation), I had a strong sense, and feeling, of sincerity when he spoke to a belief in responsible development, and that the project must be done responsibly.
As Jean-Paul Sallery said to me, "KGHM International is committed long-term, to this project, and the community. I can assure you that all activities will be done responsibly, in keeping with the company's ethos and legacy."
I asked about what kind of thresholds would be looked at, not just by the mine proponents, but by those who will be involved at the provincial and federal levels, in doing the environmental assessment studies. As I suspected, the threshold levels will be much higher. That's because of the mines proximity to the city of Kamloops.
In layman's terms, that sounds to me like a higher level of accountability and scrutiny.
Should the mine clear the environmental assessment, conducted by both the BC Environmental Assessment Authority and their Federal counterparts, there will be a number of checks and balances put in place. Furthermore, each agency will conduct its' own investigational study, and make recommendations to their respective level of government.
I'm all for that!
This will provide the opportunity for a distinct separation of powers. It will also see the best minds coming together, in an educated conclusion, either for -- or against -- the AJAX project.
I don't know if the AJAX mine proposal is one that should go ahead in our community. Here's what I do know; all we have at the moment is raw data. Even now there is nowhere near enough information, on which to base a decision, on what will be a VERY IMPORTANT choice for the people of our city.
Jobs and taxes should not be the final determining factor -- however I can see the value of the approximately 500 well-paying direct jobs likely to come about IF the mine goes ahead -- never mind the likelihood of another 1,500 or more spin-off jobs.
It is also worth noting that, according to Price Waterhouse Coopers, the mining industry pays salaries and benefits averaging $115,700.
Here’s the bottom line for me --- residents of our community should have the opportunity to find employment at good well-paying jobs right here.
Those jobs must also be created in a way that protects and safe guards our health, and the health of our environment.
With that in mind, and with those things protected, I don’t really care if they come from the AJAX Mine proposal, from someone wishing to set up a new factory, or from a new hi-tech business.
I'm Peter Sharp, candidate for Kamloops City Council
For anyone wondering, let me unequivocally state that; "I support strong -- and responsible -- exploration, mining and mineral processing industry in BC – and that includes right here in Kamloops."
And I have no problem saying this. I will support, the good high-paying family supporting jobs, which come from safe and environmentally sound development projects.
Within minutes of leaving Kamloops City to submit the paperwork to seek a seat on council, I was briefly interviewed by two of our local radio stations. Both interviews had one main focus, and that was the Ajax Mine project.
In one of the interviews, with Jim Harrison of CHNL, a direct quote they used was as follows:
“I support the mine, providing that the environmental report comes back that it’s good to go, I’m glad to see that that council are getting some input into the environmental review – not that they have a veto power – but they’re getting to have an opportunity to speak.”
A follow-up story included this quote:
“I feel that we need jobs like that to come to town, because I get sick and tired of hearing people say my kid is working up north … and my son is one of them. You know what we need is some way to operate in an environmentally safe way, that will allow our kids to have good well-paying, jobs, and stay in town.”
Here’s the thing; right now many of our children and grand-children are having to work up North, or are having to leave the province entirely, because there are few available well-paying jobs for them here.
I have attended numerous community meetings on the Ajax Mine (pro – con – and neutral) … I have toured the proposed mine site several times, and I have also met with KGHM International, Jean-Paul Salley (External Affairs Specialist), to talk about the AJAX mine project.
In meeting with Jean-Paul (and filling several pages with notes from that conversation), I had a strong sense, and feeling, of sincerity when he spoke to a belief in responsible development, and that the project must be done responsibly.
As Jean-Paul Sallery said to me, "KGHM International is committed long-term, to this project, and the community. I can assure you that all activities will be done responsibly, in keeping with the company's ethos and legacy."
I asked about what kind of thresholds would be looked at, not just by the mine proponents, but by those who will be involved at the provincial and federal levels, in doing the environmental assessment studies. As I suspected, the threshold levels will be much higher. That's because of the mines proximity to the city of Kamloops.
In layman's terms, that sounds to me like a higher level of accountability and scrutiny.
Should the mine clear the environmental assessment, conducted by both the BC Environmental Assessment Authority and their Federal counterparts, there will be a number of checks and balances put in place. Furthermore, each agency will conduct its' own investigational study, and make recommendations to their respective level of government.
I'm all for that!
This will provide the opportunity for a distinct separation of powers. It will also see the best minds coming together, in an educated conclusion, either for -- or against -- the AJAX project.
I don't know if the AJAX mine proposal is one that should go ahead in our community. Here's what I do know; all we have at the moment is raw data. Even now there is nowhere near enough information, on which to base a decision, on what will be a VERY IMPORTANT choice for the people of our city.
Jobs and taxes should not be the final determining factor -- however I can see the value of the approximately 500 well-paying direct jobs likely to come about IF the mine goes ahead -- never mind the likelihood of another 1,500 or more spin-off jobs.
It is also worth noting that, according to Price Waterhouse Coopers, the mining industry pays salaries and benefits averaging $115,700.
Here’s the bottom line for me --- residents of our community should have the opportunity to find employment at good well-paying jobs right here.
Those jobs must also be created in a way that protects and safe guards our health, and the health of our environment.
With that in mind, and with those things protected, I don’t really care if they come from the AJAX Mine proposal, from someone wishing to set up a new factory, or from a new hi-tech business.
I'm Peter Sharp, candidate for Kamloops City Council
No comments:
Post a Comment